Access Network Design Eng (CPE & Wi-Fi)
- Employee status: Permanent
- Closing date: Ongoing
- Reference number: 43364
We’re Sky, Europe’s biggest entertainment brand. Think top-quality shows. Breaking news. Innovative tech. Must-have products. Careers here mean the freedom and support you need to make an impact – pushing boundaries, creating solutions, hitting targets. And as part of our close-knit team, you’ll enjoy plenty of benefits. Plus, experiences you’ll only find at Sky.
This role is an exciting opportunity to join us and work within our Technology Team.
Sky Q, a generous pension and private health care. Plus, access to over 12,000 LinkedIn Learning courses to support your development.
To find out more about working with us, search #LifeatSky on LinkedIn, Twitter or Instagram.
As the Access Network Design Engineer, you be responsible for the network design of the Sky CPE (Customer Premises Equipment), namely, its interactions with the SKY and the wholesale networks, and its in-home and Wi-Fi capability.
- Design and test network CPE features and functionalities to support the Sky broadband products (incl. xDSL, G.Fast, fibre and wireless technologies) and services (incl. QoS, diagnostic and provisioning).
- Develop technical network specifications for the SKY CPE’s features and functions based on business requirements.
- Create the test environment and necessary documentation to support any new functional and non-functional network requirement.
- Work closely with our CPE vendor to specify CPE/Wi-Fi capability, to resolve functional and non-functional issues and fine tune performance to make best-in-class Wi-Fi/Communication products.
- Testing the Wi-Fi on various hardware configurations
- Understand E-2-E performance (wireless throughput to test server) and provide engineering feedback on performance
- Identify, define and execute test plan for comprehensive and effective baseline testing, then regression testing per CPE model and between firmware versions; various operation conditions should be covered such as channel model, noise and interference environment.
- Analyse test results, debug issues and propose solutions to vendors which would improve performance.
- Experience working with Access Network technologies, including xDSL, Dynamic Line Management (DLM), FTTx, G.Fast and PON.
- Home networking, communication and management technologies and products (802.11, Ethernet, Powerline, CWMP-TR-069 etc.)
- Detailed TCP/IP knowledge, including IPv6 and CGN in the context of the Access Network
- Knowledge of the relevant UK adopted BT SIN and NICC ND standards an advantage
- Good understanding of IEEE 802.11a,g,b,ac,ax PHY & MAC layer including OFDM, MIMO, Beam-forming
- Experience of surveying/spectrum analysis software such as Airmagnet or Ekahau
- Experience in writing professional documentation of designs, test plans, operations handover and support processes
- Experience in using Wireshark sniffer tool and analysing sniffer logs
So, what are you waiting for? Apply now for a chance to forge your own career path and be brilliant as part of a bright, talented team.
Just so you know: if your application is successful, your appointment will be subject to receiving a positive outcome from your criminal record check.
We’re happy to discuss flexible working.
It’s our people that make Sky Europe’s leading entertainment company. That’s why we work hard to be an inclusive employer, so everyone at Sky can be their best.
If you are successful in your application for this role, your appointment will be subject to receiving a positive outcome from your Criminal Record Check.
A job you love to talk about