European Privacy Counsel
- Employee status: Permanent
- Closing date: 30-01-2019
- Reference number: 44043
We’re Sky, Europe’s biggest entertainment brand. Think top-quality shows. Breaking news. Innovative tech. Must-have products. Careers here mean the freedom and support you need to make an impact – pushing boundaries, creating solutions, hitting targets. And as part of our close-knit team, you’ll enjoy plenty of benefits. Plus, experiences you’ll only find at Sky.
Sky uses data in ever more sophisticated and complex ways and with the implementation of the GDPR there is a greater need than ever to balance strong data protection compliance policies with the ability to use data in a flexible and creative way to its commercial advantage.
This role is an exciting opportunity to join us and work within our Legal Team.
Sky Q, a generous pension and private health care. Access to over 12,000 LinkedIn Learning courses to support your development. And if that’s not enough, our award-winning Osterley campus boasts six subsidised restaurants, a cinema, gym, and much more.
To find out more about working with us, search #LifeatSky on LinkedIn, Twitter or Instagram.
As the European Privacy Counsel, you will:
- Provide expert advice and guidance on global privacy laws and regulations, including customer, supplier and employee privacy laws and regulations.
- Lead advice on strategic business projects with a privacy impact and help the business and other legal teams to identify solutions which achieve privacy assurance across Sky without compromising commercial flexibility.
- Support in the development, maintenance and revision of data governance policies, taking account of changes in the commercial and regulatory environment at both a national and international level, to ensure they remain fit for purpose and coherent.
- Identify group synergies for achieving and enhancing effective privacy assurance in the face of a new and continuously evolving regulatory landscape.
- Negotiate DP provisions in commercial contracts with suppliers and assist other legal teams in such negotiations.
- Lead on data aspects of integration projects arising from Sky’s recent acquisition by Comcast and on managing data implications, across the group, of a no-deal Brexit.
- Monitor and communicate with privacy leaders, regional management and other appropriate groups on data protection and privacy developments within the region, delivering DP and Legal team digests, which may include: IAB UK & EU activities, EDPB opinions, EU and UK consultations, new data protection standards, use of personal data and behavioural targeting, legislation used for interception and other forms of statutory enforcement such as RIPA.
- Support the DPO team where required on handling of data issues.
- Strong base knowledge and demonstrable interest in developing data protection & privacy in a regulated corporate environment
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant experience plus a minimum 3 years’ post qualification experience in data protection/privacy law, including some international experience
- Experience of operating with senior stakeholders on complex projects, with a track record of cross-collaboration, problem-solving and effective engagement with colleagues and/or regulators
- Experience of delivering advice on incident management, conducting deep reviews of relevant issues, calling out and presenting key themes & trends for the business to assess and address
- Awareness of the core concepts of information security, with an ability to understand the privacy aspects of technologies used to deliver Sky’s products and services.
- Excellent stakeholder management skills, with exceptional influencing, organisational, facilitation skills and communication skills, both written and verbal, with an ability to adapt communication style to a variety of stakeholders across the business
- Experience in contributing to and advising on data protection programmes in a complex organisation, with the ability to deliver large pieces of work to tight timelines
- The confidence to challenge the status quo when required and be proactive in suggesting different and new ways of working
So, what are you waiting for? Apply now for a chance to forge your own career path and be brilliant as part of a bright, talented team.
Just so you know: if your application is successful, your appointment will be subject to receiving a positive outcome from your criminal record check.
We’re happy to discuss flexible working.
It’s our people that make Sky Europe’s leading entertainment company. That’s why we work hard to be an inclusive employer, so everyone at Sky can be their best.
A job you love to talk about