Senior Scala Developer - Recommendations Engine
- Employee status: Permanent
- Closing date: 03-01-2019
- Reference number: 37551
We’re Sky, Europe’s biggest entertainment brand. Think top-quality shows. Breaking news. Innovative tech. Must-have products. Careers here mean the freedom and support you need to make an impact – pushing boundaries, creating solutions, hitting targets. And as part of our close-knit team, you’ll enjoy plenty of benefits. Plus, experiences you’ll only find at Sky.
This role is an exciting opportunity to join us and work within our software development team.
Sky Q, a generous pension and private health care. Access to over 12,000 LinkedIn Learning courses to support your development. And if that’s not enough, our award-winning Osterley campus boasts six subsidised restaurants, a cinema, gym, and much more.
To find out more about working with us, search #LifeatSky on LinkedIn, Twitter or Instagram.
Join a cross functional software development team that uses cutting edge technology to provide applications that put Sky first for online content, customer service and sales. We ask for the very best from our development teams, so we'll make sure that you'll get the training, experience you need to have an enjoyable and fulfilling career at Sky.
As a Senior Software Developer, you’ll be championing software excellence, knowledgeable and passionate about technology, enjoy pairing with other smart people and use agile to ensure your team succeed.
- Develop excellent quality software using agile techniques such as Test-Driven Development and Pair Programming
- Take an active role in Story definition, assisting business stakeholders with Acceptance criteria
- Work on exciting products delivering significant new capabilities to Sky's applications, ensuring the User receive the best service every day, improving the codebase and have active participation in all aspects of the team - this includes daily stand up meetings, planning, showcases, retrospectives and more.
- Participate in regular showcases of new work to business stakeholders
- Share and generate new ideas, provide constructive and useful feedback with peers
- Communicate professionally with your team and other teams in your division, knowing how to contribute and how to listen.
- Delivered work is accurate and thorough and you strive towards excellence
- Play an active part in the Sky Technology communities and be an active contributor to internal and/or external open source projects
- Actively mentoring and coaching other members of the team, your help has a recognised impact on their development
- Good experience in software development preferably in functional programming languages such as Scala.
- Real time data processing and RESTful microservices in Scala (Finch, Spray/Akka HTTP and Play).
- Experience with the SMACK stack (Kafka, Spark Streaming and Cassandra), Big Data pipelines and Machine Learning
- Strong TDD and BDD background
- Experience with both Unit, Functional and Non-Functional testing
- Experience with Continuous Delivery
- Knowledge and experience of a wide range of best of breed open source and commercial technologies
- Experience of software development for high capacity, high traffic (1 million sign-ins a day), high availability websites/systems
- Delivery experience within an agile environment using Scrum/Kanban methodologies
So, what are you waiting for? Apply now for a chance to forge your own career path and be brilliant as part of a bright, talented team.
Just so you know: if your application is successful, your appointment will be subject to receiving a positive outcome from your criminal record check.
We’re happy to discuss flexible working.
It’s our people that make Sky Europe’s leading entertainment company. That’s why we work hard to be an inclusive employer, so everyone at Sky can be their best.
A job you love to talk about